The important dates to remember are:

  • 25 November 2016 – At a SARS branch (provisional and non-provisional)
  • 25 November 2016 – eFiling (non-provisional)
  • 31 January 2017 – Provisional taxpayers via eFiling

You do not need to file an income tax return if:

  • Your total salary earned during 1 March 2015 – 29 February 2016 for the 2015/2016 year of assessment is not more than R350 000 (before tax), provided:
    • You only have one employer (note that if you have two employers or income from other insources such as late spouse / partner pension income, rental income, moonlighting income etc. you do need to file even if the total is still under R350 000)
    • You have no car allowance or other income (e.g. interest or rent) You are not claiming tax related deductions (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions, travel expenses etc)
  • You received interest from a source in South Africa not exceeding –
    • R23 800 if you are below the age of 65 years;
    • R34 500 if you aged 65 years or older
  • Dividends were paid to you and you were a non-resident during the 2016 year of assessment.

Make sure your claims are accurate and that you have the correct documentation and proof for every claim you make:

  • Only use information and figures that are shown on your supporting documents
  • Only use the amounts reflected on your contribution certificates from your retirement annuity fund, income protection scheme, medical aid etc.
  • Make sure you keep an accurate logbook.
  • Do not inflate the value of your vehicle.
  • Declare all income you received during the year of assessment

Be prepared and make sure you have the following supporting documents:

  • IRP5/IT3(a) certificate(s) from your employer or pension fund
  • IT3(b) certificates for investment returns
  • Financial statements, if applicable (e.g. business income)
  • Medical aid contribution certificates and receipts
  • Retirement annuity fund certificates
  • Certificates you received for local interest income earned
  • Logbook and other documents in support of business travel expenses
  • Completed confirmation of diagnosis of disability form (ITR-DD)
  • Any other relevant income and deduction information.
  • Bank account details

Should you wish to have professional assistance in completion of your tax returns, do not hesitate to contact us.